September 2014 PTO Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 15, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Oak Hills Elementary Library
Welcome & Introductions – Kristin Hamann, PTO President
- Introductions of teachers and staff
- Need volunteers for picture day on 10/10
Principal Update – Glen Rutherford, Interim Principal
- Thank you for getting the school off to a great start!
- Working on Staffing – we did hire a third grade teacher Catherine Conolly from New Mexico.
- Cheryl is doing well – off for 6 weeks for tests and things
- Treasurer Update – Will Gingell, Treasurer
- Passed out spread sheet on budget and what we want to spend money on
- Tiffani on deposits
- Tony in the school most of the time and our “go to” when it comes to treasury.
- Will is not a check signer – but the others are. He can reconcile the account and open bank statements but doesn’t have access to the $.
- Script did not have any volunteers and was not making as much funds for the school; so we will not continue it this year. Dinner’s night out and Jog a Thon will be the main fundraisers.
Supply Drop-off, Back to School picnic & Dinners Night Out Recap – Michelle Schnoor, Heather Hoxie, Committee Chairs
- Night went off as planned!
- Food Carts Pizza Schmizza and Sliders along with Menchies and Organic Shaved Ice.
- We will add another for next year – but its tricky for the lowest “sale” minimum the vendor will commit to.
- Raised almost $1,000 in t-shirts
- $426 from food – that was after reimbursement fulfilled
- Discussion on the date due to holiday weekend. Possibly Wednesday night instead of Thursday before Labor Day.
- Dinners night out @ 5 Guys raised $150
- Next one at Sweet Tomatoes – clarifying if Coupons will be allowed
Jog-A-Thon Update – Cyndie Pelto, Rita Pipes, Committee Chairs
- A few pledges on line have already begun
- Some packets are in already
- Bulletin board in the front will keep an update on pledges
- Reminder email will be sent out at the end of this week.
- Volunteers schedule will go out this week
Volunteering and You – Johanna Shrout, Volunteer Coordinator, Beaverton School District (BSD)
- Geared towards volunteering in the classroom
- Main discussion on Group Dynamics (passed out handout):
- All volunteer group to understand roles is truly important
- Understand goals as a group – what is our mission as the OH PTO Board
- Discuss best ways of communication
- Operation Guidelines as a group should be discussed so that all attendees are aware
- By-Laws – make sure all in the group know what the by- laws are.
Sock-Hop Update & Date Change – Kristin Hamann, PTO President
- Was scheduled for October 9th but currently we have no volunteers – proposing to move it to January 30th .
On-the-Move is Here! – Wendy Turinsky, Committee Chair
- Starts this week!
- Lunch time running/walking opportunity for all grades – an option for the kids to be moving at recess
- The kids can earn small prizes at 3 & 5 miles
- We are NOT a competitive running club!
- Great gateway Volunteering Opportunity!
- Kristin – in past years parents have asked for top runners in each grade – WE WILL NOT be announcing top runners and walkers. This is not what this activity is designed for.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities – Kristin Hamann, PTO President
- PTO By-Laws Review Committee – Meet in Sept, report at Oct. PTO mtg.
- 1/18/11 was the last time that the bylaws were updated – looking for volunteers to take on reviewing the by-laws and helping us to formally update definitions.
- Kristin proposed for a committee for the bylaws – Kathleen seconded; no one said no. Kathleen will lead that committee.
- BSD Clothes Closet Serve Day – Wed. November 5th, 9:30 – 4:15 pm
- People on the list to volunteer
- Johanna gave a description of what clothes closet is.
- No kids allowed – parents only
- You can also volunteer on Wednesdays even when its not OH days.
- Brenda proposed a shoe drive in coordination of the sock hop for the clothes drive,
Parent Education Seminars – Spring 2014
- Findley Elementary will partner with us for this
- We need a chair and a committee – Kristin will be in contact with a few parents to iron out the details and dates.
Snacks for PTO meetings Sign-up Sheet – Kristin Hamann, PTO President
Bingo Night & Silent Auction – Kristen – looking for volunteers for these events for Thursday March 12th.
- Jennifer and Laura can run and purchase the event.
- We need one more monitor for Saturday;
- Ruaan volunteered to be monitor, Along with Heather Hoxie.
- Wendy motions to approve the purchase of the plans, Sheri seconds and no one said no. Motion passed.
Grant writers – we will be waiting for now. No Grants to work on as of now.
- Rachel is finding G rated movies – concessions will cover the license fee. Idea to poll the kids on what movies they want to see.
- Porter gave the idea of “drive in movie” – make the cars at home. Porter volunteers to lead the assembly and get kids excited. Friday January 9th .CARS movie!
4th grade update on field trip (over night camp)
- Very expensive and we will find out shortly if we are given a spot to go again. We will be polling parents on what they can donate.
- To raise money 4th grade event where there can be a “book fair” – Barnes and Noble would cut a % back to the school after a 5 day period. Looking to do before the holidays but not conflict with the book fair here at the school. Fall Festival
- Proposal to raise money for next year – too late for this year. We need a coordinator for 4th grade fundraiser.
Meeting closed at 8:11pm
NEXT PTO MEETING: Monday, October 13th, 2014 at 2:45 p.m.
Oak Hills Elementary Library